Planning permissions outside of a settlement boundary

At Plainview Planning we specialise in securing consents for sites outside of settlement boundaries.

What is a settlement boundary?

It is normally a line drawn around a settlement in the Proposals Map of a Local Plan. The Local Plan generally allows for development within the boundary and resists development outside.

What is the background to settlement boundaries?

A lot of focus is given to “settlement boundaries” but the phrase is not mentioned once in the National Planning Policy Framework. Instead, national guidance dictates that isolated homes should be avoided.

The fact that your site may be the wrong side of an arbitrary line does not mean that the site is isolated.

I’ve been told my site conflicts with a Local Plan policy. What should I do?

Planning decisions should be made in accordance with the Local Plan unless material considerations dictate otherwise.

Further to this, a Local Plan (and national guidance) should be read as a whole. It is not unusual for Local Plan policies to pull in different directions.

For example, a proposed development may accord with Local Plan policies which encourage residential development, and yet be contrary to policies which seek to protect open countryside. In such cases there may be no clear cut answer to the question: “is this proposal in accordance with the plan?” The local authority has to make a judgement bearing in mind factors such as the importance of the policies which are complied with or infringed.

How do Plainview Planning add value?

A key part of our role is to set out material considerations as to why consent should be granted and to assist the planning officer in giving correct weight to the key issues.

Our planning applications incorporate robust arguments which seek to effectively demonstrate why your site represents sustainable development.

Case studies

+ 3 homes outside settlement boundary despite up to date Local Plan and 5 year housing supply 

+ 3 live/work dwellings in open countryside

+ 4 contemporary homes outside settlement boundary 

+ 4 homes outside settlement boundary in grounds of Listed Building 

If you have a site you think might be suitable for development and require professional planning support then contact the team via or call us on 01242 501003 to see how we can best assist you, providing the site address and a brief overview of your project.  You can also submit your site via our Landmark Page. We value your privacy and any information which you provide will not be shared outside of our company and will only be used in relation to your enquiry.