Here at Plainview Planning we can’t believe it is that time of year again already!
2015 has certainly been a busy and rewarding year for the team, with planning applications submitted to over 120 Local Authorities; we have worked on over 300 new projects; welcomed a new team member to our Cheltenham office; and have been working hard on our sister company Context Land, which will be ready to launch in early 2016.
Gloucestershire and the South West:
Highlights from 2015 for our South West team include securing planning permissions for:
- the redevelopment of the Pittville Campus site in Cheltenham, to create a 791 bed student village;
- a contemporary dwelling in the green belt in Somerset;
- redeveloping a dilapidated pub into seven stylish flats in Worcester;
- the refurbishment of a listed pub near Bath, including 9 contemporary homes and letting rooms.
London and Greater London:
Our planning team secured permissions for:
- a new hotel in the London Borough of Newham, which is ideally situated to support London City Airport and will enable the regeneration of a brownfield site;
- two residential flats in Lambeth against local policy;
- six new residential flats in Newham on a constrained urban site;
- change of use applications for a wide range of businesses from yoga studios to osteopathic and medical clinics;
- various extensions for householders across Richmond, Westminster and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Sussex and the South East:
As for our South East team, their highlights include:
- securing key wins at appeal for development plots outside of settlement boundaries in Pulborough, Horsham, and Charing;
- obtaining permissions for an interesting self-build scheme in Oxford;
- a High Court victory for 30 homes in Dover where the case identified the misapplication of the NPPF in the decision making process.
Essex and the Eastern Counties:
Since opening in 2014 our Chelmsford office continues to grow from strength to strength. Projects include:
- the next phase of a scheme for up to 1200 homes in Maldon, having secured permissions for 105 homes in 2014;
- full planning support on the regeneration of the Leigh Industrial Estate;
- the team represented client interests at the Maldon District Council Local Plan Examination in Public to positive effect;
- and enabled home and business owners to secure valuable planning permissions in Brentwood, Epping, Chelmsford and Braintree.
2016 will see the launch of Context Land. Our sister company works in partnership with Plainview Planning, but its core business is funding and securing planning permissions for residential and mixed-use development sites.
We are excited about where this arm of Plainview Planning will be heading for 2016. You can keep up to date with progress here: Context Land.
DCLG – planning policy shifts and changes:
2015 has seen a number of shifts in planning policy, proposed and realised:
- changes and consolidations were made to the General Permitted Development Order (GPDO) in March;
- the Housing and Planning Bill was published and is currently making its way through the House of Commons;
- consultation on the NPPF has commenced and will run until 25 January 2016;
- and a number of appeals have surfaced which all highlight that the ability to show a five year housing land supply does not preclude new sustainable development.
Our team continues to expand and we were delighted to welcome Chris Moore to the Cheltenham office. He joins us as a graduate planner, having recently completed his MSc in Spatial Planning from Oxford Brookes.
Our summer intern, Rebecca Verhaeg, was an asset to the team and we wish her well with her final year at UWE, studying Architecture and Planning.
In April, our MD Ian Woodward-Court and Associate Planner Andrew Ransome cycled from London to Paris and raised a staggering £4,000 for the charity SANDS. Our thanks to those who donated so generously to such a worthwhile cause.
It has been a good year and here is to an even better 2016! With our sincere thanks to all our clients for their continued support and we very much look forward to helping you achieve your planning goals next year.
Christmas opening times: Our offices will be closed from 1pm on the 24th December and re-open on Monday 4th January.
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.