We have secured planning permission for the erection of a teaching studio at Lancing College Preparatory School in West Sussex.
The proposal sought to demolish a redundant storage outbuilding within the school grounds and to replace it with a purpose built, open plan studio to provide additional and much needed versatile space for activities such as dance and drama.
Negotiating for development within a heritage setting:
The site is located within close proximity to 3 listed buildings, is within the Broadwater Conservation area and, due to the size of the proposed development, required full planning permission.
Careful thought had gone into the design and the proposed materials for the studio by the designer Harrison James, to ensure that it was both functional and respected the surrounding heritage assets.
We prepared a robust application submission to support the designs and the principle of the redevelopment, justifying how:
- the use of the existing building for storage was no longer required;
- the existing building was unsuitable for conversion into a high quality versatile space;
- the proposal would meet a number of sustainable objectives including those that support access to education and would meet the aims of both local and national policy;
- the design of the new development displayed a good quality of architectural composition;
- the distinctively modern treatment of the design would complement the existing heritage setting and would raise the overall quality of the site by replacing an uninspiring storage outbuilding.
In light of its sensitive location, we also commissioned a detailed heritage assessment from the Built Heritage Consultancy which concluded that the proposed development would not harm the nearby heritage assets or their settings, and that the proposed building may be viewed as a modest enhancement to the setting.
After a positive application process with Adur District Council we are delighted with the approval which will enable a prestigious school to continue to further its offer to its students.
We have worked on wide ranging schemes for the education sector, from school extensions to student housing. You can read more about our experience in this field here: Health and Education