With the publication of the Housing White Paper in February 2017 it looked like last year was going to be the year of planning policy change. Instead it became more the year of planning policy delays, which means 2018 is shaping up to benefit from a bumper crop of planning reform. With a 20% planning fee increase expected imminently and a new draft NPPF expected in spring 2018, you can read about our top 6 planning changes to look out for here.
As for Plainview Planning, the team have had a very busy year and between them have worked on over 174 projects across 118 different authority areas.
In terms of the types of enquiries we have been receiving, we have certainly noticed a rise in those from single dwelling schemes and SME developers. We are hopeful that the statements made in the Chancellor’s Autumn Budget, will result in policy in early 2018 that will require local authorities to bring forward at least 20% of their housing supply as small sites. Watch this space!
As we look back on 2017 we feel very fortunate to have had such a busy and interesting year. From the redevelopment of a factory site, to a mill conversion, grand design dwellings, to annexes and gyms, we are grateful to all our clients and contractors for their support and we look forward to helping you all achieve yet more planning goals in 2018!
Project highlights from 2017:
After extensive debate the Plainview Team have decided on their most memorable projects from the last year which in no particular order include:
- Securing approval at appeal for the redevelopment of a large site into 17 stylish flats in Surrey;
- Getting a resounding planning approval at an Essex committee for a 4 x self build scheme outside the settlement boundary;
- Obtaining planning for 6 x flats in a historic setting in central Romford;
- Securing planning for 9x dwellings in Dover despite complex site designations;
- Securing planning permission for 10 new dwellings on Hayling Island;
- Providing planning support on a scheme for 4 x modern town houses in Brent;
- Continuing to work on a public inquiry for 30 extra care homes in Sussex;
- 791 students moving into their new digs at Pittville campus in Cheltenham;
- Adding value to a stunningly designed replacement dwelling through strategy and presentation in Tetbury;
- Enabling the redevelopment of an underused site to become 4 x dwellings in Ashford;
- Undertaking a successful public consultation for the redevelopment of a petrol station to a hotel in Windsor; and
- Answering all your queries at the Ask an Expert stand at Grand Designs London!
Updates from the Plainview hub:
We were delighted to welcome 3 new team members to the Plainview family last year; Marcia, Abbie and Ray have already been proving themselves a great asset to the team and we look forward to helping them to continue to achieve their professional goals in 2018.
We are also excited to announce that we are expanding our Chelmsford team and therefore relocating to larger offices later this year.
A big congrats to our founder, Ian, who ran the Stroud half marathon this year! We are still waiting to hear what 2018’s challenge will be.
From all of us here at Plainview, we wish you a happy, healthy and exciting new year. And a big thank you to all of our clients and contractors – it has been a real pleasure working with you all and we look forward to what 2018 will bring.
A word from our clients:
It has been our pleasure to help our clients achieve their planning goals during 2017, and we have been incredibly touched by the kind words we have received in return, which include:
I have to say, from day one, I knew you would be absolutely instrumental to the whole venture succeeding – and I wasn’t wrong. You have dealt with it all with gold standard professionalism, and I cannot thank you enough.
Mrs Young, East Yorkshire
We can honestly say that it is extremely rare that we meet and work with advisers with the level of professionalism, integrity and detail consciousness we have experienced working with you. At every stage we have been able to trust that you were ‘on it’ and would offer the most appropriate advice and guidance and make the right judgements. I cannot tell you how rare that is!
Mrs Shuttleworth, London
I have been so impressed at the consistently high standard of work produced during my planning application and appeal process. The Plainview team went above and beyond what was required. A superb outcome, thank you.
Mrs Grimes, Suffolk
- Millar Howard Workshop 2016
- Carbon Creative 2016
- Architecture for London 2017
- CLPD 2016
- APS Design Associates 2017